Tales of an Upper West Side Nothing

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Cutlery or Clippery

This Sunday I heard a familiar ringing coming from the street. Could it be- the ice cream man? Um... it's 20 degrees outside plus I live in a walk up- I'll never make it down in time to buy my Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake. I climb over my couch to get a look and what do I see? The knife sharpening truck!!!! I haven't seen one of those in years! My mom actually used to bring out her knives to have them sharpened by the man in the truck. Now I ask you who is the ad wizard who came up with this idea? Let's get a truck paint it silver- strip it down and sharpen knives. Then we'll drive through random neighborhoods and ring our little bell- the more annoying the better- and ask people to bring out their knives and have them sharpened in a sketchy truck that used to be used to ferret immigrants across the border. Seriously, so weird. Now why don't they have a laundry truck, an egg beating truck, a haircutting truck, or maybe even a toe clipping truck- because Lord knows people have been doing that in public anyway! Did anybody else have a knife sharpening truck in their neighborhood?
--S



AM I WRONG ABOUT THE SKETCH FACTOR?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I AM DYING TO GET MY KNIVES SHARPENED BY THOSE GUYS!!! And I was just thinking about them! How timely! They came by apt bldg one Sunday clanking their bell and I looked out the window and was shocked! I had to call my mom to see if it was legit or if they would take my own knives, force me into the back of the truck with them, have their way with me and then sell me into the slave trade. IF YOU SEE/HEAR THEM AGAIN AROUND 92nd STREET AND B'WAY/WEST END, PLEASE CALL ME! Life has been dull without them...

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do the knife trucks have separate kosher and non-kosher stones for sharpening? or do we have to wait for the mikveh truck to come by at a later date to rekosher the knife?

4:54 PM  
Blogger Post-Denom Jew said...

yes, I remember the knife sharpening truck on lazy summer days. Never did I see one person use the truck though. Now, a toe clipping truck, that is something I would use. My wife would definitely be thankful.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter