Tales of an Upper West Side Nothing

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reading Is Free-damental

I cannot decide if I am a frugal genius or just a cheap ass. In my building there are garbage "closets" on every floor which house the garbage chute and bins for recycling. Since we moved in in October my roommate and I have searched the recycle bins for reading materials every time we throw something away. It has even come to the point where my roommate will retrieve something that I have thrown away that I originally got from the recycle bin. I have noticed that Sunday mornings produce a wealth of wonderful reading material. So finally I hatched a genius plan. This past Sunday morning I took the elevator to the top floor- the 15th- and walked down every flight checking the recycle bins for reading material. I stopped at the 5th floor because I babysit for people on the 4th and 2nd floors and if they caught me and figured out what I was doing I fear I would lose my $12/hour secondary income. It was a successful trip as I scored 2 New Yorker magazines, a one week old New York Times Magazine and a Rolling Stone magazine. Does this make me pathetic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter